Does My Home Need Mudjacking for a Cracked Driveway or Walkway?
Mudjacking, also referred to as slab jacking, is a method for fixing concrete trip hazards and sunken paths. It is a specialty repair process that lifts sunken pieces of concrete and asphalt by pumping liquid grout through the concrete.
While concrete and asphalt are both strong surfaces, they are not perfect. Concrete around your home, including your driveway and walkway, might eventually sink, crack, and become uneven. You may wonder if mudjacking in Edmonton is the right solution. Here is some information to help you decide.
What Causes a Sunken or Cracked Concrete Surface?
There are various reasons why your concrete surfaces sink or crack. Some common reasons include:
- Washout - When water penetrates the concrete slab and gets underneath the surface, it washes away the soil supporting the slabs. With a space now between the earth and your concrete, the weight of your slab shifts and sinks into that space.
- Drainage - Poor drainage around your home can lead to washout too. If water pools from broken or clogged gutters, your concrete surfaces will crack and sink over time.
- Critters - Critter damage is another reason for concrete cracks and sinking. They burrow and nest under the concrete, digging away your concrete’s support system at the same time.
Should You Use Commercial Concrete Repair in Edmonton or Replace the Concrete?
Once a solid surface sinks or cracks, you might think there is no option but to replace it entirely. However, mudjacking a cracked driveway or concrete slab is much more cost-effective than replacement. In fact, there are benefits to repairing instead of replacing:
- Mudjacking is Cheaper - Removing existing concrete requires expensive equipment and plenty of labour hours. Furthermore, you will endure the costs of disposing of the old concrete, then the cost of pouring and shaping the new surface. Doing this during rainy season could dilute your concrete mix, creating an inferior Mudjacking is much cheaper, involves less labour, and will save you thousands of dollars.
- Cracks can be Repaired Too - When you hire us to lift a sinking concrete surface, the cracks are sealed and repaired as well. Our team of professionals can smooth the surfaces so that they look as good as new, without the cost or hassle of replacing the concrete.
- Durability - Mudjacking is a permanent fix. The grout injected will not absorb water or expand once wet; therefore, you should not have sinking or lifting in the future.
- Versatility - Mudjacking can be used on a variety of cracked and uneven surfaces. Furthermore, you can use the surface usually within the day after repair, compared to weeks to use a freshly poured surface.
You can also call our toll-free number to reach us: 1-866-661-OSCO (6726).